Crowd Pleaser Breakfast Casserole
A make-ahead breakfast casserole that’s sure to please any crowd.
- Parchment + avocado oil or preferred cooking oil for pan
- 12 large whole eggs**
- 1 Tbsp Taco seasoning blend
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- Black pepper, fresh ground, to taste
- 1 cup any milk or dairy alternative (e.g. unsweetened almond or cashew milk)
- 1 cup hard cheese, shredded & divided (sharp/old cheddar suggested, but can use non-dairy “cheese”)
- 2 Tbsp jalapenos, seeded & minced
- ½ cup bell peppers, seeded & chopped
- ½ cup green onions &/or cilantro, chopped
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, coarsely grated (= roughly 3 cups)
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves, packed
- Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, line 9×13 baking dish with unbleached parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl add eggs & spices; whisk for 30 seconds.
Add milk, ⅔ cup cheese, green onions, cilantro (if using), bell peppers and jalapenos; whisk gently to combine.
Add shredded sweet potatoes and spinach; stir well with spoon to mix.
NOTE: Mixture will be thick, and will likely appear as if it needs more eggs, but don’t add any!
Transfer to prepared (oiled) baking dish, and flatten mixture with back of spoon. Bake for 1 hour.
Sprinkle with remaining ⅓ cup cheese/non-dairy “cheese”, and bake until cheese is just melted.
Remove from oven, cool for 10 minutes and cut into 12 squares using long serrated knife. This is important so that you don’t shred and crumble the slices.
Serve warm for breakfast with a slice of wholegrain/sprouted grain avocado toast - or cold with a side salad for lunch!
Store casserole, cooled to room temp, in fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Freezing is not recommended as it changes the texture and consistency.
*To make ahead: Assemble, cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Bake as described above.
**Substitutions: Want to cut down on yolks? Substitute with 6 large eggs + 2 cups liquid egg whites.